My family has had this piano for about 25 years, since I was 6 years old. My parents bought it from our local congregation in the early 90’s after they installed their very first sound system! I played it for many years and for a little while even my sister, brother and mom all took lessons. I moved out 10 years ago so beside the grandkids pounding on it, the piano went years without being played. Last year my dad said he wanted to get rid of it to make room for a desk. There was too much sentimental value to just toss it, so I suggested we turn it into the much needed desk. Little did I know how many posts I could find about up cycling pianos on Pinterest!
Other than inspiration, I couldn’t really find a how-to on this project. I thought, “How hard can it be?!” and just started to take it apart as soon as my family left for 2 days.
After many trips out to the barn to get the right tools and 3 hours later, I had it apart! I only broke one piece in the process, using brute force to pull out the wooden strip across the top of the keys because there was no way I could get to the nail head to pull it out properly.
My friend, Elise, came for the weekend and encouraged me whenever I had doubts. I really wanted the keys to show, but was worried no one would like it. She got me to go for it and I’m so glad I did. There were 4 metal bolts holding the hammers that couldn’t be removed unless I wanted to remove the harp for good. They stuck out like 3 inches so it seemed logical to place a shelf across them. I repurposed the part that rolled over the keys as a shelf and decided to leave the harp in the back. It is so beautiful!
My husband completed the design by adding lights. In addition, my dad decided he wanted his computer to go back a few inches and cut the middle out of the shelf creating two shelves instead of one long one. I think the result has been pretty fantastic and my dad loves his new desk!
All together the finished project cost $75 for the glass and $70 for the lighting. I spent roughly 4 hours and my husband spent 2 hours getting the lights just right.
If you’d like your piano repurposed, we now have a little experience to help you out! Please share your thoughts in the comments below, thanks!